North Dakota Court System - Legal Self Help Center (2024)

Welcome to the North Dakota Legal Self Help Center

The North Dakota Legal Self Help Center provides resources to people who represent themselves in civil matters in North Dakota State Courts. The information on this website and from Center staffisn't intendedfor legal advice but only a general guide tocivil court process. Legal advice is dependent upon the specific circ*mstances of each situation and can only be provided by a lawyer to their client.

  • What the Self Help program can do for you

The information contained on this website isn't guaranteed to be up to date and the North Dakota Legal Self Help Center isn't responsible for any consequences that may result from the information on the website or from Center staff. The information can't replace the advice of competent legal counsel licensed in the state

  • The North Dakota Legal Self Help Center isn’t your lawyer and can’t be your lawyer.
  • There is no lawyer/client privilege or confidentiality of any information shared with North Dakota Legal Self Help Center staff.
  • North Dakota Legal Self Help Center staff are neutral and impartial and may provide services to all parties in the case.
  • North Dakota Legal Self Help Center staff aren't responsible for the outcome of a case.

If you're unsure about whether you should use the information on the website, contact a licensed lawyer.

We encourage you to read all the information and instructions on this website. The answer you're looking for may be easier than you think.

General Information

  • Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Accommodation Requests
  • Courts in North Dakota
  • People in the Courtroom
  • Contact Us
  • Contact Clerks of Court by County
  • Finding a Lawyer
  • North Dakota Free Legal AnswersNew
  • Other Resources

Criminal Defense Attorney Application (Indigent Defense Services)

  • Criminal Defense Attorney Application

When a defendant can’t afford an attorney in a North Dakota state district court felony or misdemeanor case, the Commission on Legal Counsel for Indigents provides an attorney after the District Court determines the defendant is indigent.

The defendant must fill out an application form with the party's financial information, and give it to the clerk of court where their criminal case is filed. If you have questions about the application for a criminal defense attorney, contact the clerk of court.

The North Dakota Legal Self Help Center can’t provide any assistance in criminal matters or answer any questions about this application.

Request Notice by Email When Documents are Filed in a Public Case

Click on the link below to request notice when documents are filed in a public case. Notice is sent to your email address. The emailed notice includes the name and index number of the document, and the date the document was filed. Contact the Judicial Branch IT Help Desk at if you have questions about how to make the request for notice of filing.

  • Request for Notice of Filing (choose Public Case Subscription option)
  • Help Documentation

If you want to view or get a copy of a document, contact the Clerk of Court of the county where the document is filed. Make sure you have the name and index number of the document, and the date the document was filed.

More information about access to North Dakota court system documents is available through the Data Access webpage.

Legal Forms and Guides

Need help filling out a form? Contact a lawyer and ask if the lawyer provides limited legal representation. Lawyers licensed to practice law in North Dakota are allowed to represent you in a part of your case, like filling out a form or forms, or creating a legal document for you. You represent yourself in the rest of your case on your own. You only pay for the part of the case the lawyer handles for you. You and the lawyer must agree in writing to limited legal representation.

North Dakota Legal Self Help Center forms aren’t official court forms and courts aren’t required to accept them. There’s no guarantee that all judges and courts will accept forms available through the Center. Use at your own risk.

Forms aren't available for every legal issue or circ*mstance. If you don't find the form on this website, the form isn't available through the North Dakota Legal Self Help Center.

You may need to create your own legal documents. TheGeneral-Use forms in the District Court Civil Action section below may be used as a starting point for creating your own legal documents.

Legal Research

  • How to Research Your Legal Issue
  • Laws and Rules
  • Pattern Jury Instructions
  • Glossary of Legal Definitions

Small Claims Court

  • Forms to Start a Small Claims Court Action
  • Forms to Answer a Small Claims Court Action
  • Preparing for a Small Claims Court Hearing
  • Judgment Collection for Small Claims

District Court Civil

  • Guide to a District Court Civil Action
  • Starting a District Court Civil Action
  • Answering a Summons and Complaint
  • Demand for Filing
  • Making a Motion
  • Answering a Motion
  • General Use Checklists and Forms
  • Service Instructions and Forms
  • Evidence
  • Subpoenas
  • Contempt of Court
  • Remote Hearing Preparation&Best Practices

Juvenile Court

  • Early Destruction of Juvenile Court Records
  • General Use Forms
  • Service Instructions and Forms
  • Juvenile Court Webpage

Guardianships and Conservatorships

  • Health Care Directives
  • Power of Attorney
  • Guardianship of Adults
  • Guardianship of Minor Children

Landlords and Tenants

Name Changes

  • Name Changes for Adult
  • Name Changes for Minor Children

Family Law

  • Annulment
  • Divorce
  • Legal Separation
  • Establishing Custody and Visitation
  • Adoption
  • Paternity
  • Request for Expedited Parenting Time Mediation
  • Temporary (Interim) Orders in Family Law Cases
  • Amend/Review Child Support (income changes)
  • Child Support Request for Contempt Citation
  • Modify Primary Custody (N.D. orders)
  • Modify Visitation (N.D. orders)
  • Relocating Out of State (N.D. orders)
  • Out-of-State or Tribal Court Custody or Visitation Orders


  • Affidavit of Identification Form
  • Appear by Reliable Electronic Means (Appear Remotely)
  • Bankruptcy
  • Change of Venue
  • Contempt of Court
  • Continuance and/or Extension Request
  • Continuance Request (Less than 21 days before hearing)
  • Dogs as Public Nuisance – Complaints
  • Emancipation
  • Establish Date and Place of Birth
  • Expungement of Involuntary Commitment Court Records
  • Filing Fee Waiver Request – District Court/Small Claims Court
  • Judgment Collection for the Winning Party (Judgment Creditor)
  • Judgment Collection for the Losing Party (Judgment Debtor)
  • Mental Health Commitment
  • Motor Vehicle Title – Petition to Award
  • Post-Conviction Relief Petition
  • Registering a Foreign Judgment
  • Traffic Violations - Driver Training Course No Points
  • Traffic Violations – Requesting a Hearing
  • Vexatious Litigant – Application to File New Documents

Wills and Probate

  • Wills
  • Affidavit for Collection of Personal Property of the Decedent
  • Informal Probate of an Estate
  • Formal Probate of an Estate

Protection and Restraining Orders

  • Domestic Violence Protection Orders
  • Disorderly Conduct Restraining Orders
  • Sexual Assault Restraining Orders
  • Register Out-of-State or Tribal Court Protection Order
  • Abusive Litigation


  • Appeal an Administrative Agency Decision to District Court
  • Appeal a District Court Decision to the Supreme Court
  • Appeal a Traffic Violation Decision

Criminal Matters (no assistance available)

  • Criminal Defense Attorney Application
  • Expungement
  • Firearms - Restore Right to Possess
  • Legal Research for Criminal Matters
  • Post Conviction Relief Petition
  • Restitution Hearing Request (Municipal Court)
  • Restitution Hearing Request (District Court)
  • Sealing Criminal Records
  • Sealing DUI Records

If you do not understand any of this information, of if you have trouble filling out any of the forms located here, please see an attorney for help.

The information provided on and obtained from this site does not constitute the official record of the Court. This information is provided as a service to the general public. Any user of this information is hereby advised that it is being provided "as is". The information provided may be subject to errors or omissions. Visitors to this site agree that the Court is not liable for errors or omissions of any of the information provided.

If you have a question relating to a case that is already filed please contact the clerk of court for the county.

North Dakota Court System - Legal Self Help Center (2024)
Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Dan Stracke

Last Updated:

Views: 6028

Rating: 4.2 / 5 (63 voted)

Reviews: 86% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Dan Stracke

Birthday: 1992-08-25

Address: 2253 Brown Springs, East Alla, OH 38634-0309

Phone: +398735162064

Job: Investor Government Associate

Hobby: Shopping, LARPing, Scrapbooking, Surfing, Slacklining, Dance, Glassblowing

Introduction: My name is Dan Stracke, I am a homely, gleaming, glamorous, inquisitive, homely, gorgeous, light person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.